Museum Tours

Our museum is open all year.  We are open each Saturday from 9am to 5pm.  We are closed on Sunday and Monday, but welcome group tours any other day by reservation. 

Museum tours are partially guided and partially self-guided.  A tour includes all 11 buildings, so wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and prepare yourself for a one to two hour step back in time.

Cost per person is $5.00 except children under 10 accompanied by an adult are free.  Special group rates for seniors and students:  Museum and wagons farm tour is $7.00 (at least 12 people and reservations are required).

For reservations or more information, call us at (910) 298-3804, (910) 290-0014 or (910) 296-4235.  You may also Email Us.

Join us now for an armchair tour................

Dog Trot Style House 

  • The center piece of our museum is an 1830's "Dogtrot" style house that was built on the farm.  It displays an excellent representation of the style of living for that period of time . 

  • The house was restored in 1998, keeping the building in its original design and layout.  It is furnished with turn of the century furniture including a kitchen table, wood burning stove, spinning wheel, feather beds, photos, and much much more.  Come and see how they lived over 100 years ago..

 

Oliver Fountain Smoke House 

 Built in the early 1900's, this old structure has been used to smoke some of Duplin Counties "finest feeding fricassees".  The smoke house is set up and reflects the manner in which they cured their meat.  On display is a one post gallows homemade wood lard crock and much more.

 

1935 Tobacco Barn

The later 1800's brought in the next big cash crop......Tobacco.  Unlike the crops of today, early tobacco "cropping"  was very hard, hot, dirty work.  Come and see the tools and equipment use during that period, and you will see why  the days were long and the nights were short!  Exhibits in the barn include over 20 horse drawn plows, and 1930's and 40's tractor drawn equipment.

 

Cy Horne House

This two-room 1918 cottage with a fireplace was built on the Howell Horne farm in a neighboring community.  It now serves as an exhibit hall for early artifacts

 

Out House

Believe it or not, this 1940's building is a source of fun for children of all ages.  You will see how blessed we truly are now.  Things have gotten better!

 

Howell Horne Smoke House
Built in the mid 1800's and moved from the Howell Horne farm, it now serves as a place to exhibit a civil war cook pot along with several other exhibits.

 

Quinn Farm Corn Crib
This early 1800's corn crib contains a home-made grape crusher made by Willie Hunter, as well as other wine making equipment of that period.  The building also houses displays for corn shelling, cycle knife sharpening, and the breakdown of an old hand pump.  

Note the wooden pegs at the top used to hold the corn crib together!

 

1830's Corn Crib

This crib was part of the original farmstead built on the family farm.  Inside it exhibits may pieces of early mule harnesses and other items of use in raising livestock on an early farm.

 

Chicken House
  • The 1930's chicken house is home to over 13 different exhibits.  

  • The one stop building to learn about the history of the Fountain clan, as well as items that were used by the families of the local community and other memorabilia..........
  • Can you imagine a bill for $2.90 for one month’s electric service? See our 1940's Four County EMC  bill from David and Ludie Fountain
  • Other exhibits include 1930-1960's household and cooking equipment, early electricity display, turpentine tools, carpentry and mechanics tools, and many, many more!

 

J.J. Andrews Store
An excellent example of 1925's early country shopping, the "J.J. Andrews" Store was re-located to the Fountain Farm.  The store was  the watering hole or social cornerstone for the local community.  The store exhibits old items purchased at the store, as well as an old cash register and early automotive exhibit. 

 

Visitors Center
Our visitor center was once the David Fountain Farm Supply Store.  Containing many exhibits as well as several vintage farm and kitchen tables, it now serves as our visitors center and banquet room.  It is available  for a visiting group to use for their lunch during their visit or may be used for receptions, reunions, etc...

 

Quilts 

 There are  many unique and interesting stories behind each and every quilt.  We have some family quilts that were made from the legs of pants that were no longer used as "britches".  Nothing on the farm went to waste.  

 

Turpentine  
Turpentine was the local commerce for this period in time.  Turpentine was the only cash crop that the early settlers in this area had.  The beautiful and bountiful long-leaf pines were bled of their sap and it was collected, distilled locally, and shipped by boat or barge to Wilmington along the Northeast Cape Fear River.  A type of by-product of this industry was pine tar which was derived by means of a tar kiln. (this is where the farm name came from).  Come learn more about this labor intensive industry that no longer exists.

For reservations or more information, call us at (910) 298-3804 or (910) 296-4235 or Email Us.